The Association for Feminist Anthropology will award grants of $500 each for travel to the Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association. Eligibility is restricted to students and recent PhDs from underrepresented groups, working in feminist anthropology. Applicants must be giving a paper, organizing a session, or seeking employment at the Annual Meetings.
Application Deadline: Sept 15, Annually.
- Candidate must be a member of an historically underrepresented group, which can refer to race, ethnicity, class, ability, and sexuality.
- In honor of Zora Neale Hurston’s legacy, submissions from African American candidates will receive special consideration.
- The candidate’s primary disciplinary focus must be feminist anthropology.
- The candidate must currently be a student or a recent PhD.
- One of the following three criteria must also be applicable: the candidate must be attending the AAA Annual Meetings to deliver a paper related to feminist anthropology; or organizing a session on feminist anthropology; or actively seeking employment in the field of feminist anthropology.
Candidate materials will be evaluated according to alignment with the eligibility requirements and the letter of recommendation.
- Submit a cover letter that summarizes the applicant’s work and how it honors Hurston’s legacy; indicates the applicant’s status (student or recent PhD); membership in an underrepresented group; and applicability of evaluation criteria.
- Include supporting materials:
- If you are presenting a paper at the AAA meetings, please submit a copy of your abstract and the name of the session;
- If you have organized a session on feminist anthropology, please submit the abstract of your session and the date when it is scheduled;
- If you are attending the AAA meetings to seek or secure employment in feminist anthropology, please submit a statement on your job search plans for the meetings.
- Submit a recommendation letter in support of the application from your primary academic advisor.
Prior to review of award submissions, AFA membership will be verified. Thank you for supporting our section!
Please email your submission a single Portable File Document (PDF) with the subject “Zora Neale Hurston Prize Submission” to: email@example.com.