AFA Section Column in Anthropology News
The Association for Feminist Anthropology’s Column in Anthropology News regularly showcases contributions from the AFA membership in the following forms:
- Essays, interviews, or photo essays from all subfields of anthropology written in an accessible, journalistic style that draw on the author’s scholarly sensibility and expertise as a feminist anthropologist. Pieces may focus on, but certainly be not limited to, current happenings in the world, the author’s own research, or significant dialogues within the discipline. Essays and interviews should have a maximum length of 1,600 words and be accompanied by 1-3 images. Photo essays should have a maximum length of 600 words for the introductory text and be accompanied by 6-8 images. An example of this kind of writing can be found here.
- News from our section, such as initiatives, public engagements, deadlines for awards, news on award recipients, meetings’ announcements, new books by our membership, etc. News pieces should have a maximum length of 1,000 words. An example of this kind of writing can be found here.
AFA publishes four columns per calendar year in AN, one per quarter. First drafts will be accepted from current AFA members on a first come, first serve by the following deadlines:
- Submission deadline for publication in Quarter #4 2022 (October-December): August 1st 2022
- Submission deadline for publication in Quarter #1 2023 (January-March): November 1st 2022
- Submission deadline for publication in Quarter #2 2023 (April-June): February 1st 2023
- Submission deadline for publication in Quarter #3 2023 (July-September): May 1st 2023
A pitch of no more than 300 words is due at least 1 month prior to the submission deadline for the quarter in which the prospective author intends to publish with AFA in AN. Pitches and drafts of articles should be sent to AFA Section Column Contributing Editors, María Lis Baiocchi or Leyla Savloff at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about publishing with AFA in AN, please refer to the AN Guidelines for Section Authors.