AFA Michelle Z. Rosaldo Prize
The Association for Feminist Anthropology (AFA) is pleased to invite nominations for the Association’s Michelle Z. Rosaldo Prize. Michelle Z. Rosaldo was one of the earliest theorists in feminist anthropology. With Louise Lamphere, she was the co-editor of Woman, Culture and Society, the 1974 volume that helped launch the field, and in other writings shaped critical thought in feminist anthropology for decades to follow. The prize is awarded to a first book that draws on and makes a significant contribution to feminist anthropology.
Application Deadline: May 1, Annually in odd calendar years.
Submissions must be first books, monographs that exemplify feminist anthropological theory and ethnography that help to move the field forward in bold new directions. Books must have been published between May 1, 2019 and June 1, 2021, and must be published in English.
Candidate materials will be evaluated according to:
- Ethnographic richness,
- Theoretical sophistication,
- Potential to impact the field of feminist anthropology and the discipline of anthropology, and
- The nominating letters.
- Nominations must be submitted from someone other than the author or publisher.
- Submit a signed letter of nomination specifying how the book meets the criteria, along with evidence of the author’s current membership in AFA. Books submitted without an accompanying letter of nomination cannot be considered.
- In addition to the letter, please arrange for a copy of the book to be sent directly to each member of the Selection Committee at the following addresses (below). Submissions must be received by the stated due date.
Prior to review of award submissions, AFA membership will be verified. Thank you for supporting our section!
Please email your submission a single Portable File Document (PDF) with the subject “Senior Book Prize Submission” to: email@example.com.
Selection Committee Addresses for Book Distribution