The Association for Feminist Anthropology supports a cash grant ($2,000) competition for individuals completing the writing phase of a dissertation that makes a significant contribution to feminist anthropology (across all subfields). The doctoral candidate may be pursuing an anthropology or interdisciplinary doctoral degree, and must be at the dissertation phase at the time of the American Anthropological Association Annual Meetings.
Application Deadline: June 1, Annually.
- Candidates must be a doctoral candidate in anthropology or an interdisciplinary program with significant grounding in feminist anthropological theory and methods. All sub-fields of anthropology are encouraged to apply
- Candidates must be in the write-up phase of the dissertation at the time of the AAA Annual Meetings.
Candidate materials will be evaluated according to:
- Use of, and engagement with, feminist anthropology in framing the research topic and findings.
- Significance of the project to feminist anthropology.
- Originality of dissertation topic or analytic lens.
- Timeliness or relevance of topic.
Please submit the following:
- One-page statement detailing the contribution of the dissertation project to, and engagement with, feminist anthropology.
- Cover letter indicating applicant’s subfield, current status, and dissertation adviser.
- Dissertation project proposal of five double-spaced pages, plus bibliography.
- Short CV (no more than two pages).
- Letter of recommendation from the dissertation adviser. This should frame the work within feminist anthropology. The adviser should also certify that the graduate student will be in the dissertation writing phase at the time of the American Anthropological Association Annual Meetings. The letter should be sent directly to the email listed below.
Prior to review of award submissions, AFA membership will be verified. Thank you for supporting our section!
Please email your submission a single Portable File Document (PDF) with the subject “AFA Dissertation Grant Submission” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.