The Association for Feminist Anthropology will award 3 grants of $500 each for travel to the Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association. Eligibility is restricted to students and recent PhDs from underrepresented groups, working in feminist anthropology. Applicants must be giving a paper, organizing a session, or seeking employment at the Annual Meetings.
Application Deadline: Sept 15, Annually
- Candidate must be a member of an historically
underrepresented group, which can refer to race, ethnicity, class, ability, and
- In honor of Zora Neale Hurston’s legacy,
submissions from African American candidates will receive special
- The candidate’s primary disciplinary focus must
be feminist anthropology.
- The candidate must currently be a student or a
- One of the following three criteria must also be
applicable: the candidate must be attending the AAA Annual Meetings to deliver
a paper related to feminist anthropology; or organizing a session on feminist
anthropology; or actively seeking employment in the field of feminist anthropology.
Candidate materials will be evaluated according to alignment
with the eligibility requirements and the letter of recommendation.
- Submit a cover letter that summarizes
the applicant’s work and how it honors Hurston’s legacy; indicates
the applicant’s status (student or recent PhD); membership in an
underrepresented group; and applicability of evaluation criteria.
- Include supporting materials:
- If you are presenting a paper at the AAA
meetings, please submit a copy of your abstract and the name of the session;
- If you have organized a session on feminist
anthropology, please submit the abstract of your session and the date when it
- If you are attending the AAA meetings to seek or
secure employment in feminist anthropology, please submit a statement on your
job search plans for the meetings.
- Submit a recommendation letter in support of the
application from your primary academic advisor.
Prior to review of award submissions, AFA membership will be verified. Thank you for supporting our section!
Please email your
submission a single Portable File Document (PDF) with the subject “Zora Neale
Hurston Prize Submission” to: [email protected].