SYLVIA FORMAN PRIZE FOR STUDENT PAPERS
25th Anniversary Annual Competition!
Association for Feminist Anthropology
AFA is pleased to invite graduate and undergraduate students to submit essays in feministanthropology incompetition for the Sylvia Forman Prize, named for the late Sylvia Helen Forman, one of the founders of AFA whose dedication to both her students and feminist principles contributed to the growth of feminist anthropology.
One graduate and one undergraduate student winner will each receive a certificate and a cash award.
We encourage essays in all four subfields of anthropology. Essays may be based on research on a wide variety of topics including (but not limited to) feminist analysis of women’s work, education, reproduction, sexuality, religion, and expressive culture, language, family and kin relations, economic development, gender and material culture, gender and biology, women and development, globalization, and intersectionalities of gender, race, sexuality, and class.
Essays will be judged on:
- Originality of research topic
- Use of feminist anthropological theory to analyze a research question
- Organization, quality, and clarity of writing
- Effective use of both theory and data
- Significance to scholarship in feminist anthropology
- Timeliness and relevance of topic
Note: For essays that have been submitted but not yet accepted for publication, contact the Forman Prize Chair well before the submission deadline. Articles already accepted or published are not eligible. Only one submission per student will be accepted. Candidates cannot receive the same AFA award more than once.
DEADLINE for submissions is May 1, 2019 and essays should include:
- Mention of whether for an undergraduate or graduate prize
- Author’s institutional affiliation, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address for notification prior to September 2019
- Name, title, and institutional affiliation of instructor/advisorwho supervised the paper for acknowledgement
- If a graduate essay, the author’s AAA membership number: Graduate students must be members of the Association of Feminist Anthropology by the time of the paper submission in order to compete
- No more than 35 double-spaced pages, including bibliography, using American Anthropologist style, and be submitted by email as an MSWord or PDF attachment with any illustrations within the document in either .jpg or .tiff, to Forman Prize Chair Jennifer Wies, [email protected], with “Forman Prize Submission” in subject line.
Prizes will be awarded at the AFA Business Meeting during the AAA Annual Conference, November 20-24, 2019 in Vancouver