The Association for Feminist Anthropology (AFA) announces the 2018 Zora Neale Hurston Travel Award competition, continuing our tradition since 2002 of honoring the pioneering African American anthropologist Zora Neale Hurston. Visit the Zora Neale Hurston webpage of the AFA website for further information on Hurston’s contributions and accomplishments.
The AFA will award 3 grants of $500 each for travel to the 2018 Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association in San Jose, CA.
Eligibility is restricted to students and recent PhDs from underrepresented groups, working in feminist anthropology. Applicants must be giving a paper, organizing a session, or seeking employment. The winning awardees will be notified prior to the AAA meetings, with the awards formally announced and checks given out at the AFA business meeting.
Deadline: September 21, 2018
• Member of an historically underrepresented group, which can refer to race, ethnicity, class, ability, and sexuality. In honor of Zora Neale Hurston’s legacy, submissions from African American candidates will receive special consideration.
• Primary disciplinary focus on feminist anthropology.
• Must be a student or a recent PhD.
Evaluation Criteria (one of three must be applicable):
1) attending the AAA meetings to give a paper related to feminist anthropology; or
2) organizing a session on feminist anthropology; or
3) actively seeking employment as a feminist anthropologist.
Interested individuals should submit the following application materials:
1) A cover letter that
a) summarizes the applicants work and how it honors Hurston’s legacy;
b) indicates the applicant’s status (student or recent PhD);
c) membership in an underrepresented group;
d) applicability of evaluation criteria.
2) Supporting materials:
a) If you are presenting a paper at the AAA meetings, please submit a copy of your abstract and the name of the session;
b) If you have organized a session on feminist anthropology, please submit the abstract of your session and the date when it is scheduled;
c) If you are attending the AAA meetings to seek or secure employment in feminist anthropology, please submit a statement on your job search plans for the meetings.
3) A recommendation letter in support of the application from your primary academic advisor.
Please email your application along with supporting materials, and direct any inquiries, to:
Dr. Omotayo Jolaosho ([email protected])
Chair, AFA Zora Neale Hurston Travel Award Committee
School of Interdisciplinary Global Studies
4202 East Fowler Avenue, FAO 270
Tampa, Florida 33620
Filters: home page, portfolio