ASSOCIATION OF FEMINIST ANTHROPOLOGY DISSERTATION GRANT COMPETITION
Cash grant ($2,000) to support the writing phase of a dissertation that makes a significant contribution to feminist anthropology
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 1, 2019.
To apply, you must be:
- A doctoral candidate in anthropology or an interdisciplinary program with significant grounding in anthropological theory and methods. All sub-fields of anthropology are encouraged to apply
- An AFA member at the time of submission
- In the write-up phase of the dissertation at the time the grant is given (November 2019, AAA meeting).
Applications will be judged on:
- Use of, and engagement with, feminist anthropology in framing the research topic and findings
- Significance of the project to feminist anthropology
- Originality of dissertation topic or analytic lens
- Timeliness or relevance of topic
Complete applications must include the following:
- One-page statement detailing the contribution of the dissertation project to, and engagement with, feminist anthropology.
- Cover letter indicating applicant’s subfield, current status, and dissertation adviser.
- Dissertation project proposal of five double-spaced pages, plus bibliography.
- Short CV (no more than two pages).
- Letter of recommendation from the dissertation adviser. This should frame the work within feminist anthropology. The adviser should also certify that the graduate student will be in the dissertation writing phase at the time the grant is given (November 2019, AAA meeting). The letter should be sent directly to the Committee chairperson listed below.
- Proof of AFA membership (section memberships are documented in your AAA membership information; a print out or excerpt from this webpage is acceptable)
Assemble application materials (except letter of recommendation) into one PDF file and submit via e-mail to:
Dr. Rebecca Howes-Mischel
Chair, AFA Dissertation Grant
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
James Madison University